Friday, January 4, 2008

Fundraising

Soon I'm going to get one of those thermometers for the side of my blog that show how much money we've raised towards this hosting experience. The fees are over $1000 just to host, so we'd like to raise $1000. (There are still more expenses, like the homestudy and medical exam, possibly paying for summer camp, preparing a bedroom for the host child and ensuring she has necessities like clothes and shoes and food.)

Our first fundraiser started yesterday. We're selling flavored popcorn to people we work with. Our goal is to raise $100 through popcorn, but of course it would be nice if we made more.

I also got an unexpected refund from a work expense (something I forgot about) for $180. That went right into the hosting fund, which means we're already at $180. We're hoping to get some overtime and add that to the fund, too. And I have a few other projects up my sleeve...

Anyone know of other good (and relatively easy) ideas? The popcorn seems to be a really good start because it's food, it's small, even people who wouldn't normally support a fundraiser have bought it. I've only gotten negative feedback from one person at work when I said I was doing a fundraiser for a program that helps older orphans find adoptive homes.

No comments: